Gas leaks are a common household problem. Undetected gas leakages can not only raise the gas bills, but can also be life-threatening. In order to help you understand how the gas leaks occur and how can such occurrences be prevented, here are some postulates regarding the matter:
REASONS FOR GAS LEAKS:
Gas leaks usually occur because of poorly fitted pipe joints, badly maintained connections and faulty equipments like boilers.
Appliances that are installed poorly, with bad fittings allow gas to escape. In usual cases gas leaks directly from the gas hose going into the appliance. Therefore it is very important to properly ensure that the appliances are installed only by a professional plumber.
If the appliances are old, and are not serviced properly, chances are that those old appliances will be the reason behind the high gas bills. Likewise, if you are purchasing any second-hand gas appliance, make sure that their condition is fit for usage. Unfit appliances and pipelines will cause gas leaks which would require a gas line repair in San Antonio, TX.
PREVENTING GAS LEAK:
In order to prevent gas leakages in pipelines make sure that following points are followed:
- When installing any gas equipments implement all the safety procedures for work
- Test the place for any gas signs before, during and after maintenance
- Ventilate/clear out those places where gas might accumulate
- When installing any gas pipes, try to plant them outside as much as possible
- Ensure that the gas pipe line has minimum joints in it
- When you install any new pipe, always test for gas leaks.
- Install gas leak detectors in all enclosed spaces. Also install an alarm with it and an automatic gas shutting valve.
- In case if the gas pipes run through a confined vertical shaft, install an exhaust fan to keep the shaft ventilated.
- Ensure periodic checks for locating any gas leaks
- Use the correct jointing methods and high quality pipes: MDPE is for underground usage, copper and galvanized steel are to be used above the ground.
- Most gas leaks occur at pipe joints. Ensure you’ve implemented the correct jointing method for pipe system, such as fusion joints for large MDPE pipes, screwed joints for steel pipes and compression and.
- Usually gas leaks occur at the joints. Therefore the right jointing techniques should be ensured when installing pipe. For example, fusion joints should be used for larger MDPE pipes, capillary joints should be used for copper pipes and screw joints should be used for steel pipes
- When installing steel pipes with screw fittings use gas PTFE tape in it
- Employ only approved gas operating items
- Get your gas equipments tested from a qualified technician at least once per year
- Keep all flammable items like chemicals, solvents, papers etc away from any equipment operating on gas
- When installing, maintaining or cleaning gas equipments make sure that the manufacturers’ recommendations are followed
- Install gas detectors in the facility where there is gas line work
- Never hang instruments or any other tools on gas pipes
- Check pilot lights on gas appliances to make sure they are burning blue. A very small amount of yellow or orange is also acceptable. Appliances with steady yellow or orange burning flames should be serviced by a qualified professional immediately.
- The pilot lights on gas appliances should be checked. They should be burning blue. If the appliances have yellowish or reddish orange flame then a qualified technician should be called for their service.
DETECTING GAS LEAK:
If you have found a gas pipe damaged, or if the area has a gas smell associated to it, you should do the following:
- Don’t turn on any ignition switches near the suspected gas leak location.
- Don’t let anyone stay near the suspected area.
- Don’t use any naked flames in that area, neither light a cigarette. Any source of ignition should be kept away from the leak location.
- Immediately report local authorities or call a professional company for gas line repair in San Antonio, TX. Make sure that you provide them your exact and accurate location.
After completing the above tasks, make sure you follow these steps
- Don’t attempt to repair the leaking pipe yourself
- Don’t cover the damaged pipe or area. This can lead to gas accumulation throughout the sewers, ducts, or chambers
- Turn off gas valves only if they can easily be turned off.
WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN CASE OF A GAS LEAK?
Natural gas is flammable and can easily catch fire even with the slightest of spark. It is not necessary that the spark will only occur from a flame. Instead, it can also come from an electrical device.
Such conditions can be very dangerous for your home, and also result in an injury or even death of a person.
Small gas leakages although don’t spark a fire but they still can cause other serious damages.
GAS LEAKS HAZARDS ON HEALTH:
Natural gas is toxic if it is inhaled. If there is a continuous exposure to natural gas in small amounts it can cause nausea and headaches. If higher amount of natural gas is inhaled it can cause much more severe symptoms.
Natural gas is made safe for household usage. But if it does not burn off properly, it begins to discharge carbon monoxide, which is very dangerous for human health.
Carbon monoxide exposure can cause headache, nausea, blurred vision and dizziness.
If the symptoms of carbon monoxide ever occur, they will be experienced by everyone in the house. Prolonged exposure to it can even cause death. Therefore it is very important to clear the house immediately and call for a gas line repair in San Antonio, TX if you suspect any gas smell.
You can find more information about gas leaks and other plumbing problems on Bluefrog Plumbing