Photo By marketlan at Shutterstock
Water heaters are used many times a day and are working away most of the time. They are normally very robust pieces of equipment, but without proper care and regular maintenance, they can break down and need an expensive water heater repair.
We all lead busy lives, and we do not always have the time to find a reliable company to undertake the repairs. Let us save you time, call bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of San Antonio serving Helotes, TX for a speedy and affordable water heater repair service. Why choose us? Well, we have hundreds of satisfied customers happy to recommend us. If you do not believe us, just check our reviews online.
The Major Types of Water Heaters
- Tank Water Heater – these are the most common type of water heater and consist of a single, large, tank holding between 20 to 80 gallons. The tank is always kept hot by heating elements located at the top and bottom of the tank. This means there is always a large volume of hot water that can be accessed all the time.
- Tankless Water Heater – these are smaller and more compact because there is no need for a large external tank that needs to be kept permanently heated. They are more energy-efficient for this reason. However, they are more expensive to buy and install, particularly if they are gas-powered because they need air vents to enable combustion but will save you a lot of money on electricity tariffs over time.
- Hybrid Water Heater – A disadvantage of the tankless heater is that it takes a little time for the water to heat up. To overcome this issue the hybrid model contains a small tank to provide an instant supply of hot water.
- Heat Pump Hybrid Water Heaters – these units are very eco-friendly and use a compressor to draw heat from the surrounding air or ground and use it to heat the water. But they are expensive to buy but will reduce your electricity usage.
Each of these heaters has advantages and disadvantages. The initial cost and installation of a tank heater are cheaper than that of a tankless one. But the tankless one is a lot cheaper to run and will save you money in the long term. The heat pump is the choice of the environmentally conscious, but you will need deep pockets to invest in one. However, they do tend to last longer, use less electricity, and typically need fewer repairs.
Common Problems with Water Heaters
Nothing lasts forever and even a well-maintained unit will occasionally break down and need a water heater repair. There are several problems that all water heaters share:
- Your water heater cannot cope with the demand – your water heater may be the same one that was originally there when you moved into your home. In that time your family may have grown, and you probably use more water appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers. If you have noticed that your water heater is struggling to cope with all the appliances being on at the same time, or even if it shuts down, you will need an upgrade. The more times your old heater shuts down the more likely you will need a water heater repair or replacement.
- Scale forming – minerals in your water supply can leave insoluble deposits of scale in your heater. This is a particular problem in an area with hard water like here in Helotes, TX. The scale will gum up the works in all types of water heaters and bluefrog Plumbing suggests that you have your system descaled at least once a year, or you will need a major water heater repair. We have all seen scale forming on the electrical heating element of a water kettle, this is what is happening to your electrical heating element in your tank heater.
- Water is leaking from your water heater – the cause could be a loose connection or a faulty water valve. The fix could be as simple as tightening a nut. A more serious problem could be corrosion inside the tank, if this has happened the tank will have to be replaced. If your heater is over ten years old, it may be more economical to have your water heater replaced than repaired.
- You experience low water pressure – any leak in your home could also lead to reduced water pressure. It is not always easy to detect a leak as it could be behind your walls and under your floor. If you suspect that you have a leak, turn off your taps and all your water appliances. Check your water meter if it is still ticking over then you have a leak. Low water pressure could also be due to a faulty water valve in your heater.
- Your water is discolored – if you have older pipework made of galvanized steel it will rust from the inside of the pipe. When it is disturbed, the rust will make its way into your tank and leave sludge at the bottom of the tank. Therefore, your tank needs to be flushed each year to remove this sludge. Also, some areas flush the entire city region and there may be a short period of time (a few hours) that the water is brown. This is different from sludge sloshing around at the bottom of your water heater because it will continue until resolved.
- Erratic changes in water temperature – the last thing you want is for your shower to be hot one minute and cold the next. Scale on the electrical heating element can be the cause of this uncomfortable showering experience. The layer of scale acts as an insulator making it more difficult to heat the water. Scale can also cover the thermostat, so it is unable to measure any temperature changes in the water as quickly nor as accurately as it once did. The thermostat will need replacing during a water heater repair.
Avoid an Expensive Water Heater Repair by Employing Regular Maintenance
bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of San Antonio advises all our customers to have their water heater regularly maintained. This will ensure it’s safely running. We also check your entire HVAC system to sort out problems like those listed above before they need a water heater repair.
When you consider that the average cost of a water heater repair is often many hundreds of dollars, regular maintenance represents good value for money. Our subscription service is either semi or annual check-ups and is affordable and will extend the life of your appliances.
Why Choose bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of San Antonio?
We take huge pride in delivering a great quality plumbing service to our local community around Helotes, TX. If you have any water heater problems or any HVAC issues, then call us straight away, we are ready to help 24/7 all year long!