Every system and appliance would function correctly forever in a perfect world, but unfortunately, we don’t live in an ideal world. Plumbing problems can occur at any time, which can make life in your home inconvenient. Plumbing problems can affect your ability to use the water and cause several other complications that can result in costly repair bills.
DIY home repairs are widespread today. With all of the do-it-yourself videos online and home improvement shows on TV, more people are making home repairs DIY projects. Although you can handle many jobs yourself, plumbing repair isn’t one of them. Licensed plumbers undergo years of training and apprenticeship to learn to diagnose and repair plumbing issues correctly. Without the necessary training, you could end up damaging the system.
If your plumbing system experiences any of the following problems, it’s best to hire a licensed plumber in Cibolo, TX, to handle the job for you to ensure it’s done correctly.
#1 Leaking Pipes
Your pipes can rust and corrode with age, causing them to weaken and leak. Leaks can also occur due to loose or disconnected joints or if the seal fails and should be fixed by a plumber immediately. Leaking pipes will cause water damage and mold growth, which can be costly to repair. Also, waiting to resolve the problem will waste a significant amount of water, causing your water bills to increase, so it’s best to hire a plumber immediately.
It’s essential to detect the signs of leaking pipes early, which isn’t always as easy as you might think. Leaks under the sink can be easy to see because there will be standing water in the kitchen cabinet or bathroom vanity. Leaks behind a wall will leave water spots on the wall, but leaks under the house can be more challenging to detect. The leak and cause puddles in the yard, or the basement floor will feel warm. In serious cases, and the pipe has been leaking for a while, the water can damage your home’s foundation. Some leaks will show no signs other than a high water bill.
A licensed plumber can fix the leak to prevent further problems from occurring, and if they can’t find the affected pipe, leak detection equipment to direct them to the leaking pipe so the issue can be resolved.
#2 Dripping Faucet
The water should stop running completely when you turn off the water. If the faucet continues to drip when you turn it off, it’s more than a minor nuisance. A faucet that drips one drop per second can waste 11 gallons of water per day and up to 330 gallons per month, which will cause your water bills to increase significantly, and is harmful to the environment.
A few problems can cause the faucet to leak, and you’ll need to hire a plumber in Cibolo, TX, to diagnose the problem. The faucet could leak due to a worn-out washer or gasket, loose O ring, or corroded valve seat, or the faucet may have reached the end of its lifespan.
When the problem is resolved, the faucet will stop dripping, and your water bills will decrease.
#3 Running Toilet
Your toilet is designed to run after every flush to allow the tank to refill, so the toilet is ready to flush again. If the toilet continues to run when the tank is full, it’s best to hire a plumber as soon as the trouble starts.
If you think that a dripping faucet wastes a lot of water, you’ll be shocked by the water wasted by a running toilet. The toilet will cause you to waste 30 gallons of water per day and up to 900 gallons per month, causing your water bills to increase considerably.
A few issues can cause the toilet to run, including:
- The flapper is cracked or damaged.
- The flapper chain is broken.
- The refill hose is too long.
- The float height needs to be adjusted.
- The toilet is old and has reached the end of its lifespan.
A licensed plumber can inspect the toilet to determine why it continues to run and make the necessary repair.
#4 Toilet Clog
Toilet clogs occur when too much toilet paper and waste are flushed. Clogs can also occur if someone flushed something that shouldn’t be flushed, such as baby wipes, paper towels, menstrual products, and children’s toys.
A clogged toilet isn’t usually a cause for concern because a plunger will often break up the clog enough that it can be flushed. If the plunger isn’t effective, it’s time to hire a plumber. You can’t use the toilet until the clog is removed, which can be frustrating, especially if you only have one bathroom in your home. A licensed professional can use a drain auger to break up the clog and flush the toilet. If the clog is too far down the drainpipe for the auger to reach, the plumber can remove the toilet to get to the clog. When the clog is removed, you can start using the toilet again.
#5 Drain Issues
Most people don’t think too much about their drains. As long as the water flows freely down the drain, you have nothing to worry about. It’s when the water stops draining properly that it’s time to worry, and trying to solve the problem yourself using a liquid drain cleaner isn’t the best option.
Liquid drain cleaners contain harsh chemicals designed to break up clogs and can cause significant damage to the pipes. Also, you can’t be sure if the product removed the entire clog. If part of the clog remains, it won’t be long before you start having drain issues again.
If your drains experience any of the following issues, it’s best to hire a plumber.
- Slow drains: A minor clog can cause the water to drain slowly, making daily tasks challenging. If you’re doing something that requires running water, like brushing your teeth or washing the dishes, the sink can overflow because the water drains so slowly. A small clog in the tub will cause it to fill when you take a shower, and you’ll find yourself standing in several inches of water when you’re done.
A licensed plumber can remove the clog quickly and may use a drain camera to ensure the entire clog is removed, allowing the water to flow freely down the drain.
- Clogged drains: Large clogs can prevent the water from draining, resulting in standing water in the sink or tub. When a clog remains in the drain for a significant amount of time, it can cause the pipes to corrode and leak. Also, bacteria and other harmful organisms can form in the standing water, putting your family’s health at risk. Finally, you won’t be able to use the sink or tub until the clog is removed, which can be inconvenient.
A licensed professional has the knowledge and equipment necessary to remove the entire clog, allowing water to drain.
- Noisy drains: Does a drain in your home make a gurgling noise when the water drains? If so, it may not seem like a big deal because the water still drains, but the noise is a significant cause for concern, and you should call a licensed plumber in Cibolo, TX, as soon as possible.
A significant drain clog can cause the water to change direction to get passed the clog, creating an air pocket in the pipes and causing a gurgling sound. Waiting too long to make the call can result in a complete clog preventing the water from draining.
A licensed professional can remove the clog quickly, ensuring the entire clog is removed, quieting the drain.
- Multiple drain clogs: If various drains in your home are slow or the water doesn’t drain at all, it’s unlikely that they all clogged simultaneously. This problem often indicates a clog in the sewer line and should be addressed immediately. Ignoring the problem can cause a sewage backup in your home, resulting in a nasty mess that could put your family’s health at risk.
A licensed professional can clear the sewer line, allowing the water to flow freely down the drain, eliminating the risk of a backup.
Drain issues are inconvenient and can be damaging, so it’s best to hire a licensed professional as soon as the problem starts.
#6 Water Heater Issues
Your water heater is essential to your plumbing system because it provides hot water when needed. If the unit isn’t working correctly, it can affect the water temperature, and your ability to use hot water and put your home at risk.
If your water heater experiences any of the following problems, it’s best to hire a plumber in Cibolo, TX immediately.
- A lack of hot water is caused by a broken heating element. Also, the unit may have reached the end of its lifespan and can no longer heat the water if it’s over ten years old.
- The water isn’t getting hot enough due to a faulty thermostat. If the unit is over ten years old, it may not be able to function efficiently enough to heat the water to the desired temperature, and it should be replaced.
- You frequently run out of hot water, which could be due to your family’s hot water demand. You’ll run out of hot water frequently if the tank isn’t large enough. The problem could also be due to sediment buildup. If when a significant amount of sediment forms in the tank, there will be less space for water storage, and you’ll need to replace the unit.
- Brown or rust-colored hot water is often caused by the sediment in the tank breaking apart, contaminating the water. If the unit is over ten years old, the inside of the tank could be breaking down, contaminating the water.
- Poor hot water pressure is caused by a sediment clog in the waterline.
- Strange sounds occur when large pieces of sediment bang against the inside of the tank, and ignoring the problem could crack the tank.
- Water pooling around the unit due to a crack, and the water heater will need to be replaced immediately.
If your water heater experiences any of the following problems, it’s best to hire a plumber immediately. DIY water heater repair isn’t recommended because you’ll void the warranty and could do more harm than good. A licensed professional has the knowledge and experience to diagnose and repair the problem, and you’ll have hot water again.
#7 Frozen Pipes
Winter days in Cibolo, TX, are relatively mild, but the temperature drops significantly at night and during cold snaps, causing the temperature to drop below freezing. If you try to turn on the water when it’s below 32 degrees outside and nothing comes out, the pipes have likely frozen, and you’ll need to hire an emergency plumber.
When the pipes freeze, the water inside will freeze and expand, causing the pipes to burst. Burst pipes can flood your home and are a homeowner’s worst nightmare, and you should hire a professional in Cibolo, TX before a disaster occurs. They can thaw the pipes quickly to prevent the pipes from freezing. The plumber can also give you tips to prevent the pipes from freezing and wrap them in heated tape to keep them warm.
Call bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio
If you have a plumbing issue and need to hire a plumber in Cibolo, TX, call bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio. We’re a full-service plumbing and HVAC company, serving customers in the area for years. Our plumbers are professionally trained, highly skilled, and have the expertise to handle all plumbing jobs, regardless of how complex. If you have a problem that can’t wait until we have an available appointment, don’t panic. We provide emergency service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and we will get a tech to your home as quickly as possible.
To schedule an appointment for plumbing or HVAC service, give bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio a call or book online.