Schedule Plumbing Service For Water Damage As Soon As You Find It | San Antonio, TX
Are you worried about water damage? As a homeowner, the last thing you want is a flooded home because it can cost you thousands of dollars in repairs, replacements and restorations. If you get lucky, you won’t have to worry about structural damage to your home. The best way to avoid water damage is to ensure your plumbing system is in top shape. In this article, we’ll discuss what water damage is, what to do during a plumbing emergency, and how best to prevent it. If you have questions, get in touch with a plumber in San Antonio, TX, today.
What Is Water Damage?
Water damage is synonymous with flooding usually caused by leaks. Think of a frozen pipe that expanded and burst or a leaky water heater. Both can lead to catastrophic damage. If you don’t address them right away, you’ll end up with a costly plumbing repair and a replacement.
One good thing about water damage though is that it can be prevented. You can actually do something so that you won’t have to encounter it in your home. Plumbing emergencies don’t usually occur overnight — they happen only when a homeowner fails to address some basic plumbing issues such as maintenance and prevention. For example, during winter, homeowners are expected to protect exposed pipes so the water inside them doesn’t freeze. Otherwise, it’ll only lead to flooding. If you have a basement and your area is prone to getting storms, you’re advised to install a sump pump, or you might end up with a flooded basement.
It’s important to listen to a reliable plumber when he gives you advice on what to do to avoid repairs that can cost you an arm and a leg. Better yet, get a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX, for regular plumbing inspections. During the inspection, a plumber will check your plumbing system thoroughly for any issues that can potentially cause a problem. He will do everything to make sure that all issues are resolved.
If you need plumbing service, don’t hesitate to contact bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio. Our plumbers are certified and skilled to handle plumbing maintenance. We’re also fully equipped, which means you don’t need to schedule another appointment when something comes up during the inspection. We’ll resolve the issue on the same day.
Do you suspect an issue with your plumbing? Don’t wait until that progresses into a major plumbing emergency. We suggest getting a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX, today for an inspection. Rest assured, your plumbing will be in excellent shape after the appointment. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that you won’t have to worry about flooding in your basement or a leaky water heater.
How to Know There Are Leaks in My Plumbing?
When it comes to leaks, remember that some of them can go undetected. Just because you don’t see pool water in the yard or near the water heater doesn’t mean your plumbing system is in top shape. Plumbing leaks can take the form of water spots in the ceiling or walls, and even damaged paint. You need to really carefully inspect your home periodically and watch for these subtle signs. You can also just call a plumber if you need assistance.
The first thing you need to check is your water bill. Get a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX, if your water bill is unusually high as this usually indicates a leak in your plumbing. Low water pressure is another sign to watch out for. Before requesting a plumbing service, you might want to do a water meter test first. Turn off the shower and tap, and check the reading in the meter. Wait for about 30 minutes and take another reading. Compare both readings — you can assume there’s a leak in your plumbing when the reading show different numbers.
You can also do a toilet leak test especially when your toilet doesn’t stop running. When there are leaks in the toilet, you’ll end up with a costly water bill. To test for leaks, simply pour a few drops of food coloring into the tank and wait for 15 minutes. Check the color of the water in the toilet bowl. If there are changes, then there’s a leak in the toilet. Get a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX, for assistance. When you postpone resolving a plumbing problem, you could end up with costly water damage. This doesn’t just cost a lot of money, it also jeopardizes the foundation of your home and this will cost you more in the future. Get a plumbing service today for assistance.
Our plumbers at bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio can handle any plumbing problem, big or small. Just contact us at your earliest convenience and we’ll dispatch a plumber to your location. We’re also available around the clock to ensure all plumbing emergencies are taken care of. What are you waiting for? Contact us today if you need plumbing service ASAP.
What to Do During a Plumbing Emergency
The first thing you need to do during a plumbing emergency is not to panic. Just stay calm and carefully turn off the water supply to prevent water damage.
We suggest installing a lot of shut-off valves and preferably near your water heater, dishwasher, garbage disposal and washing machine. As much as possible, don’t install a shut-off valve in the basement as it might be difficult to turn it off especially when your basement floods. You’ll need to also check if these shut-off valves are working. Get a plumbing service, so that our plumbers can make sure your devices are in good working order.
After turning off the water supply, the next step is to get a plumbing service for assistance. It’s best to have a reliable and trusted plumber you can call during emergencies — and that’s what we’re here for. Contact us anytime and we’ll be there quickly.
While waiting for the plumbing service professional to arrive, consider taking pictures of the water damage especially when you have homeowners insurance. You might get coverage if the water damage isn’t due to a maintenance problem. After taking pictures, make sure to clean up right after. We also suggest that you don’t wait for another day when there’s water damage. Mold can fold within 24 hours which is why it’s important to get help immediately.
Our plumbers at bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio are well trained to respond efficiently to plumbing emergencies. And because we’re available 24/7, you can call us even in the wee hours and we’ll still be there to help you get rid of the water problem and permanently resolve the issue.
When everything is sorted, call your insurance company and file for a water damage claim. You can call your insurance agent if you have questions about your coverage.
For plumbing-related concerns, get a plumbing service in your area. Additionally, make sure to also prioritize safety first. If there’s flooding, turn off the electricity for your safety. if it’s possible to turn off the shut-off valve because of electricity, just wait for the plumber and don’t attempt to repair anything. Our plumbers will know what to do during and after a plumbing emergency. You can count on us for we have been doing this for several years. Call us today when you need plumbing service.
Don’t Ignore Plumbing Problems
Apart from scheduling plumbing inspections, it’s also important for you not to ignore any plumbing issues. If you think something is wrong with the water or the washing machine, please get a plumbing service immediately so that a plumber can check what’s wrong. In addition, you need to periodically check your plumbing system for any signs of leaks or problems and get help immediately.
If you’re careful and mindful of your plumbing, you won’t have to encounter major plumbing repairs that cost a lot of money. Should you have other questions about leaks or water damage, get a plumbing service today. Our plumbers are more than happy to provide assistance at your earliest convenience.
Tips to Avoid Water Damage
Thankfully, there are things you can do to avoid an extremely costly plumbing emergency. Below are some of our tips. If you have questions, get a plumbing service today.
- As mentioned, you need to cover exposed pipes when the temperature reaches below zero. Otherwise, the water inside can freeze and this can lead to catastrophic water damage. Also, you won’t be able to use the water when it’s frozen. Visit the hardware store and buy an insulating material you can use to protect exposed pipes. If you’re at home, just slightly open the tap so that warm water flows through the pipes. Make sure you don’t turn off your heating — open the cabinet doors near the sink to let warm air circulate in that area.
- Are you still using a conventional water heater tank? You need to flush out the sediment buildup at least once a year. You’ll have problems with your water heater if you fail to remove the mineral buildup. Some homeowners complain of having inconsistent hot water or not having hot water at all. Don’t wait until it’s too late to flush out the sediment; if you don’t address the problem promptly, you’ll end up with a flooded home and you will have to also replace your water heater tank.
- For homeowners that still use a tank-type water heater, we suggest switching to a tankless water heater. When you go tankless, you don’t have to worry about flooding in the basement. You can just easily install the unit in your bathroom. You can also conserve energy and save money when you go tankless because there’s no standby heat loss. For installation, make sure to only get professional plumbing service in San Antonio, TX.
- If you’re still using rubber washing machine hoses, we suggest switching to stainless steel washing machine hoses. The latter is less susceptible to damage and they also last twice as long as their counterparts. For installation though, make sure you only hire a licensed plumber for it.
- Get professional drain cleaning regularly to ensure your drains are healthy. Clogged drains can also lead to water overflowing and water damage.
- If you think there’s a leak in your plumbing but you can’t find it, get plumbing service or professional leak detection. Our plumbers at bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio are equipped with the right tools and equipment to help us accurately locate the leak. We can also fix this so that you won’t have to worry about water damage anymore.
- Consider installing leak detection devices and place them near your washing machine, water heater and garbage disposal. These devices can alert you if it detects a leak in your plumbing and even temperature inconsistencies. Some leak detection devices can also automatically shut off the valve to prevent further damage. This feature comes in handy especially when you won’t be home.
- Purchase a water pressure regulator if there’s high water pressure in your home. High water pressure can severely strain the pipes and lead to flooding. If you don’t know how to measure the water pressure, contact a plumber in the area.
- If you live in an old home, consider replacing the water pipes. Older pipes are likely to corrode and this can lead to leaks and flooding in your home. Contact a plumber if you need assistance on which type of water pipes to purchase for your home.
Contact bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio Today!
Do you need plumbing service for your home in San Antonio, TX? Our team of skilled plumbers can help! We’re quite experienced when it comes to tackling any plumbing problem, especially plumbing emergencies. We can also help you install major plumbing emergencies, and perform drain cleaning services and maintenance. Call us anytime and we’ll quickly dispatch a plumber to your location. Get in touch with bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio today for an appointment.