20 Plumber Tips Every Homeowner Should Be Aware Of | Helotes, TX
Photo By Kenishirotie at istock
As homeowners, it’s best to know how your plumbing works to save money and ensure your system is in excellent shape. Being an informed consumer also lets you avoid costly repairs and replacements. This article will talk about helpful plumbing tips all homeowners must know about. If you have questions, please contact one of our plumbers in Helotes, TX.
- Do you have a sump pump installed in your home? If there’s a coming storm, test your sump pump first to ensure it works. To test the pump, pour a bucket of water into the sump pit and check if the pump turns on. Contact a professional in Helotes, TX, for assistance when the sump pump doesn’t work. It’s also best to get backup batteries in case there’s a power failure. Ensure that you also check the sump pump for any wear and tear. Check for any damaged parts and contact a professional plumber immediately. You can avoid flooding in the basement by ensuring that the sump pump efficiently removes the water. When one of its system components doesn’t work, you could end up with a flooded basement. And that’s going to cost you a lot in repairs and restorations.
- Should you decide to do minor plumbing repairs, please ensure that you wear protective clothing to avoid accidents. If you’ll be working under the sink, wear safety glasses to protect your eyes. As much as possible, wear gloves, especially if you’re dealing with harmful chemicals. Better yet, hire a licensed plumber in Helotes, TX, for assistance. Professional plumbers are equipped with safety tools and equipment to help them complete the plumbing task without accidents.
- If you have a water heater tank, flush out the sediment build-up at least once a year. Failure to do this may lead to frequent repairs or a replacement of your unit. In addition, your home is safer when you regularly maintain your water heater. Otherwise, you could end up with a flooded basement. And you’ll be wasting hundreds of gallons of water. To reduce the likelihood of leaks, consider installing a tankless water heater for your home. Tankless water heaters consume energy only when using the tap, which means you get to conserve energy. You can also mount the wall — no tank is needed, which reduces the likelihood of flooding in your home. Most importantly, they last twice as long as conventional water heaters. They also require less maintenance. If you’re thinking of installing a water heater, do make sure to hire a licensed plumbing professional only. The risks of hiring unqualified plumbers in Helotes, TX, for water heater installation include inefficiency issues and costly repairs. You can avoid this problem by hiring trusted professionals in the area.
- Don’t use chemical-based drain cleaners for unclogging the drains. These heavily advertised cleaners are not the solution to your drain problems — they can only harm the pipes and pose health risks. Instead, contact a professional for professional drain cleaning. Licensed plumbers can check the interior of your pipes using a drain camera to help them determine the severity of the problem and what’s blocking the flow of water. Also, they can offer you options for effectively cleaning your drains. Plumbers are equipped with hydro jetters that let them effectively clean the pipe walls, and you’re left with completely healthy plumbing pipes. Professional drain cleaning by a licensed plumber is one of the best preventive maintenance tips you can do for your drains. It prevents expensive plumbing repairs and also extends the lifespan of your pipes.
- To avoid an overflowing toilet which is a real inconvenience, inform all of your family members, especially children, on how to properly care for the toilet. You should only flush human waste in the toilet, nothing else. Food, debris, or small toys should be thrown in the trash can. We also suggest that homeowners don’t neglect toilet issues, especially a leaky toilet, to avoid wasting hundreds of gallons of water. Contact a professional immediately for assistance. Trusted professionals can inspect your bathroom and help you permanently resolve the problem.
- Garbage disposals can effectively help you manage food waste. However, you need to know how to use it properly to avoid clogs and other issues. For example, you’re not supposed to overload it as that may eventually damage the unit’s motor. For large food particles, break them down before putting them in the garbage disposal. After grinding the food, run the garbage disposal for a couple more minutes for efficient cleaning. If possible, grind some ice cubes and lemon to prevent an unpleasant smell from the garbage disposal.
- It’s essential to know the location of the shut-off valve in case there is a major leak in your plumbing. Make sure that they are also easily accessible. Better yet, install several shut-off valves in your home and place them close to your washing machine, dishwasher and water heater. Contact a professional in Helotes, TX, today to help you install shut-off valves.
- If there is a gas leak, please don’t panic. The first thing you need to do is not call a plumber but open all the windows for proper ventilation and get out of your home. Then, contact a licensed professional asap to help you fix the problem. Never attempt to resolve a gas leak on your own to avoid accidents.
- Insulate the pipes when the temperature starts dropping. When the temperature reaches below zero, and you have unprotected pipes, the water inside them can freeze. The pipes can burst, and you will have a flooded home. Remember, water damage can be extremely costly, and it’s not always covered by your homeowners’ insurance. Get some insulating materials at your local hardware store or contact a professional to help you insulate your plumbing.
- If you suspect there might be problems with your plumbing systems, please ensure you get help immediately. Don’t wait until a minor plumbing problem can become a major plumbing emergency. You can avoid costly repairs and replacements if you act sooner. If there are leaks in your plumbing or other issues, contact a professional in Helotes, TX, at the soonest possible time.
- Be careful with hidden leaks as they can damage your home’s foundation and will cost you a fortune in replacements and restorations. If your utility bills have suddenly skyrocketed, there might be hidden leaks in your plumbing. Consider doing a water meter test to help you determine if there is a leak and contact a plumber for professional leak detection. Plumbers are equipped with tools that can help them identify the exact location of the leaks. When the issue is resolved, consider installing leak detection devices so that you are alerted when it detects a leak in your plumbing. You also don’t need to worry, as leak detection devices can automatically turn off the main water to avoid further damage to your plumbing. For installation, please make sure it’s only through licensed professionals.
- For safety purposes, please don’t attempt to do any major plumbing repairs on your own. You might get injured as you’re not trained to perform plumbing repairs. Always hire qualified and trusted professionals to help you with major repairs. Plumbers follow the code, which means you won’t get in trouble with a home inspector in case you plan to sell your home in the future. The best plumbers also know what they’re doing, and they can provide you with cost-effective solutions to permanently fix the problem. Most importantly, they can guarantee you results and even offer a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. Licensed plumbers also have insurance for your peace of mind. If there are accidents, you won’t shoulder the medical costs because the insurance company pays for it, whereas with uninsured plumbers, you will have to pay for all medical expenses.
- Don’t ignore low or high water pressure. Low water pressure could indicate a leak in your plumbing systems. It’s best to contact a professional immediately for an inspection. Our team can check your plumbing and why it’s affecting your water pressure. We’ll provide you with the best plumbing solutions for permanently resolving the problem. Call a professional, too, if you have high water pressure, which can severely strain the pipes. You could end up with a flooded home if you don’t address the problem right away.
- Don’t attempt a major plumbing installation to avoid losing your warranty. DIY installation can also lead to inefficiency problems or costly repairs. Avoid hiring unqualified plumbers, too, even if they offer their services at a lower price. If they make a mistake, you’ll end up hiring another professional to fix the issue. To avoid problems with installation, always go with licensed plumbers. Contact bluefrog Plumbing, for we have a team of skilled professionals trained to do major installations. Whether you want pipe replacement or planning to install a tankless water heater, we can help.
- If it’s your first time using a plumbing fixture or an appliance, always read the manufacturer’s manual first to avoid incorrect use of the device. Should you have concerns, you can always get in touch with a licensed professional in your area.
- Schedule a regular plumbing inspection with a licensed professional to ensure that all problems are addressed immediately, and your plumbing is in excellent shape. Regular inspections don’t only avoid costly plumbing repairs, but they can also extend the lifespan of your plumbing.
- Your laundry room also needs some care. Being uninformed can pose a danger in your laundry room, especially when you have little kids. Read the manual as well as the labels on cleaning products. Ensure that they are also not within reach by your kids. Never ignore warning signs; contact a professional immediately for an inspection. Also, if you have rubber washing machine hoses, consider replacing them with stainless steel braided hoses as the latter is less susceptible to wear and tear. They are also more durable, and you get to reduce the chances of leaks in the laundry room.
- Install strainers in your kitchen, laundry, and bathroom sink to catch debris, food, and hair. If the drain cover catches debris or hair, please make sure that you also clean it to avoid unpleasant smells. For cleaning the drains, pour some boiling water to get rid of some grease or little food particles that may be stuck in the pipes.
- Be careful with trees near your plumbing as the tree roots may penetrate the pipes and cause a bigger problem. If there are trees close, contact a professional to help you go about the issue. For leaks, get in touch with one of our plumbers for assistance.
- Do you have toddlers and little kids in your home? Standing water and hot water can pose hazards. Never leave your children around standing water and keep the bathrooms locked if possible. The hot water should be set below 120- degrees Fahrenheit to avoid scalding. Baby-proof your bathroom and kitchen if you have little kids to avoid accidents and injuries.
Contact bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of San Antonio
Do you need a plumber in Helotes, TX, today? Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Our team of licensed and skilled professionals are always ready to help! We are also available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to cater to your emergency needs. We are fully equipped to ensure that we resolve the problem on the same day. Also, we can work with any plumbing repairs, installations, or maintenance. Contact us today for an appointment.