Garbage disposals help homeowners manage their food waste better, and it’s an effective way to avoid throwing food down the drain. Read on if you’re thinking of buying a garbage disposal for your home. We’ll tell you how to choose a new unit and properly maintain it to extend its lifespan. For installation, please get professional plumbing service in San Antonio, TX.
Choosing a New Garbage Disposal
If your garbage disposal is several years old and no longer efficient, you might consider getting a new one. During installation, please make sure that you only get professional plumbing service so that a plumber can properly install your new unit. Below are some tips to help you choose a new unit. If you have questions, please contact one of our plumbers or get a plumbing service for other issues.
If you live alone or just with a partner, you might consider getting a garbage disposal with 1/3 horsepower. This type of garbage disposal is recommended for smaller families to save energy. Get a bigger size if you frequently cook and eat at home and if you have a large household. Also, please don’t forget to use the garbage disposal properly. Contact us anytime if you have questions.
There are two types of garbage disposal: the continuous feed disposal and the batch-feed disposal. If you prefer a more affordable version, consider getting the continuous feed type. However, please contact a professional plumbing service for the installation. The batch-feed garbage disposal is easier to install, but they are more expensive. Talk to us so we can help you make an informed decision on what type of garbage disposal to buy for your home and help you install it.
Take note that garbage disposals are noisy, but some models have built-in protectors and silencing technology to reduce noises from the unit. Call us to help you choose the most suitable garbage disposal for your home.
Remember, an expensive garbage disposal doesn’t always mean it’s the most durable model. Always go for the quality first — if you’re not sure, read reviews or get a professional plumbing service so that our plumbers can help you decide what disposal to purchase for your home. We are happy to discuss the different features and benefits of garbage disposals to help you make an informed decision.
Are there smaller children in your household? We suggest that you consider getting the batch feed. This type of garbage disposal doesn’t start running unless it’s covered properly. It can prevent accidents, especially with children in the kitchen. If you need help deciding what type of garbage disposal to install, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us anytime. We are more than happy to help!
Do you prefer more features from your garbage disposal? Talk to the manufacturer if you want features such as auto-reverse mode options, antiseptic coating, easy installation or a disposal resistant to bacteria. Feel free to contact us anytime too. Or get professional plumbing service for other issues.
Common problems with garbage disposals:
When you hear humming sounds from the garbage disposal, it could mean that it’s jammed, or there could be a problem with the electrical connections. We suggest you check all the electrical components first and then get a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX if you think the problem could be plumbing-related. Don’t worry, our plumbers at bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio can fix any garbage disposal problem. Let us know if you need help, and we are more than happy to investigate further. We’ll give you a proper diagnosis and provide you with cost-effective solutions that will permanently resolve the issue.
Smelly Garbage Disposal
It’s essential to regularly clean the garbage disposal so that you won’t have a smelly kitchen. Imagine how stressful it would be when you’re eating, but the kitchen smells because the garbage disposal isn’t properly cleaned and cared for. Remember that it doesn’t always mean the garbage disposal is faulty when it smells. You have to take time to clean it well. Use baking soda and vinegar to help you properly clean your garbage disposal. Also, try to use lemon to sanitize it and keep it smelling fresh. As much as possible, clean it every few days and make sure that you run it for about a minute or two after grinding all the food to get rid of all food particles stuck in the motor.
Regular cleaning of your garbage disposal can extend its lifespan and efficiency. For other issues, please don’t hesitate to get a professional plumbing service. Our plumbers are more than happy to thoroughly inspect your appliance if there might be potential problems that will cost you more money in repairs.
Before using your garbage disposal, please make sure that you know how to use it properly. You should not break down large food particles, eggshells, bones, and stingy vegetables as that might jam the motor. Always be mindful of what you throw in the garbage disposal to prevent problems. Inform your family members on how to care for your garbage disposal to avoid more costly repairs.
Is your garbage disposal jammed? Please get a professional plumbing service in San Antonio, TX, for assistance. Our plumbers can tackle any garbage disposal problem, big or small. Get in touch with us, and we’ll quickly dispatch a licensed plumber to your home or business.
Smoke Coming from the Disposal
The motor could fail when there’s smoke coming from your garbage disposal. It could also be a short circuit problem. Please get a professional plumbing service so that our plumbers can help. We’ve been fixing garbage disposals for years; there’s no problem we can’t fix. Simply call us at your earliest convenience, and we are more than happy to assist you with any problem.
Something could be stuck in the unit’s blades if you hear noises, or some of its components may be loose. If the disposal doesn’t grind the food, the plug could be loose too, or there might be electrical issues. Consider pressing the reset button as that usually would resolve the problem. If not, please don’t hesitate to get a professional plumbing service in San Antonio, TX, for assistance. We’ll further investigate and let you know the root cause of the problem. Don’t worry, we work incredibly hard to resolve the problem permanently.
During the installation of your new unit, please make sure that you only get professional plumbing service to ensure proper installation. Otherwise, your garbage disposal may not work properly, or you could end up getting more repairs. Remember, the cost can add up. Never hire an unqualified plumber to prevent leaks. Also, please make sure that you know how to properly operate your garbage disposal to avoid other issues.
A plumber might be able to remedy the problem by replacing the O-ring, but it’s always better when you won’t have to encounter this issue. Learn how to properly care for your garbage disposal, or contact us if you have issues with it.
Maintaining Your Garbage Disposal and Other Helpful Tips
Regular maintenance of your garbage disposal can keep it in top shape and extend its lifespan. Below are some maintenance tips to help you prevent costly repairs and replacements.
- Run the garbage disposal every few days with cold water so that the motor doesn’t rust. And when cleaning, please make sure that you unplug it first to avoid injuries and accidents. If you have concerns about your garbage disposal, please don’t hesitate to get a professional plumbing service so that one of our plumbers can help. We’ll give you tips on how to take better care of your garbage disposal to prevent problems.
- Get regular plumbing maintenance. As a homeowner, it’s your responsibility to care for your entire plumbing system. While you can always do inspections on your own, it’s always best to get professional plumbing service in San Antonio, TX, so that a plumber can inspect your plumbing thoroughly, including your garbage disposal. When scheduling a regular appointment, please make sure that you only hire an established and experienced plumbing company to ensure that the job is done right the first time. Don’t get tempted by the low services offered by unqualified plumbers. Remember, they are not licensed and may not have the proper training. You can avoid problems if you only get professional plumbing service.
- If something gets stuck in the garbage disposal’s motor, try not to get it on your own, especially when you don’t have experience with garbage disposals. You need to get a professional plumbing service so that a licensed plumber can help. We’ve dealt with all types of garbage disposal problems, including clogs. Simply get in touch with us, and we’ll help you at the soonest possible time.
- One thing to remember is that the garbage disposal isn’t meant to grind large food particles. Always break down large food first, especially when you have a small-sized garbage disposal. Otherwise, it will only jam the motor. If you don’t want to end up with a costly repair or replacement, know how to use the garbage disposal properly. Please get a professional plumber for other concerns.
- If there are clogs in the garbage disposals, please don’t use chemical-based drain cleaners as they are harmful to your pipes. They may also pose health risks. As much as possible, use natural cleaners for clearing the clog or get a licensed plumber for assistance.
- You can sanitize your garbage disposal by using lemon and water to get rid of harmful bacteria. It will also keep it smelling fresh and clean. As mentioned, make sure that you regularly clean your garbage disposal to avoid unpleasant smells in the kitchen. Try to also deep clean it every two weeks.
- Never ignore minor problems with your garbage disposal, which might lead to even bigger problems. If you think it’s something that a licensed plumber should address, then get professional plumbing service in San Antonio, TX. Plumbing emergencies don’t usually occur overnight and rather result from a homeowner’s neglect. To avoid costly plumbing emergencies, try to be proactive regarding your garbage disposal. Buy essential plumbing tools if you know how to use them. Always have a licensed plumber’s number ready in case you will need a professional plumbing service. Don’t hesitate to contact bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio, for we are an established plumbing company that can get the job done right the first time. We also offer 100 percent complete satisfaction. We’ll never stop unless you are delighted with our services.
- Is it your first time using a garbage disposal? Read the manual first or contact the manufacturer if you need more information on using it. For other issues, please get in touch with a plumber near you.
- When installing new garbage disposals, only hire a licensed plumber to avoid problems down the road. Licensed professionals are also fully equipped, so there is no need to schedule another appointment if something comes up.
Contact bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio
Do you need professional plumbing service in San Antonio, TX? Our plumbers at bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio are licensed and highly skilled to tackle any issues with your garbage disposal. We’re also experienced with installation and maintenance. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you need assistance. Our team works incredibly hard and goes the extra mile to ensure you’re completely satisfied with our services. So contact us today for an appointment!