Your kitchen is likely the second most used room in the entire house. It is here that, after a long day at work or school, the entire family can gather for a quick snack, to cook dinner, or to relax with a cold drink in hand. Unfortunately, with so much use comes great responsibility to keep the plumbing system working efficiently. Over time, a kitchen sink clog is going to happen. You can reduce the risk but cannot outright prevent a kitchen sink clog. Here’s how to unclog a kitchen sink.
Unclogging a Kitchen Sink
Using one of the following methods, or all of them together, you can easily clear the majority of kitchen sink clogs. If nothing works, then it is time to call for professional drain cleaning services. First, try the following methods:
- Plunger – To clear a kitchen sink of its pesky clog, you need to understand how to properly use a plunger. When used correctly, this simple tool will clear most drains in your household.
- Trap – If you’ve got a stubborn kitchen sink clog, removing the trap and clearing the clog manually is a viable option. By removing the drain trap, you will have direct access to the interior of the pipe, including the pesky clog. If you see the clog, use gloves or a straightened wire hanger to remove the problem.
- Drain Snake – A drain snake is a specialized tool designed to remove clogs from most drains in the house. However, most people do not own drain snakes. They are often expensive and bulky. If you do happen to own one, then you’re in luck. Otherwise, consider renting one for the day.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar – A simple mixture of baking soda and vinegar, followed by boiling water, can rid your drain of most clogs by breaking down the accumulated debris and gunk. The boiling water helps wash the drain clean afterward.
Professional Drain Cleaning
Your other option and perhaps the most viable solution is to hire professional drain cleaning services. By hiring an expert, you ensure the problem is handled efficiently the first time, without any extra hassle or a headache on your part.
The benefits of professional drain cleaning include:
- Reduced Clogs – With just one visit, a professional plumber can remove the current clog and reduce the risk of future clogs, too.
- Reduced Odors – A clog in the kitchen is likely made of food debris, fat, and grease, which can cause a noxious odor if left unattended for too long. A professional has the tools to remove the clog and clean the drain thoroughly, leaving behind zero odors.
- Lifespan – With the right tools, a professional plumber will also increase the lifespan of your kitchen sink drain.
Schedule professional drain cleaning services with bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of San Antonio. We offer unbeatable service for the right price. So, when you’ve got a tough clog on your hands, give us a call at 210-876-1629!