Read this article for a big list of plumbing tips for all homeowners. The tips below can help you avoid plumbing repairs that might cost a fortune. Let us know if you have any questions so we can address them. If you need a plumber in Helotes, TX, please contact bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio.
- Some homeowners would decide to do minor repair work. This is okay so long as you have the right tools and are confident with your plumbing skills. However, ensure that you wear the appropriate clothing to avoid injuries and accidents. If you’re working under the sink, always wear glasses to protect your eyes. Wear gloves as well, especially when you’re dealing with chemicals. We do suggest that you do not use chemical-based drain cleaners as they are harmful to your pipes. They also pose health risks. Hire a licensed plumber instead if you have issues with your drains. Our plumbers are equipped with the right training and tools to help us permanently resolve the problem.
- When the temperature starts dropping, please make sure to insulate unprotected pipes including your outdoor plumbing. The water inside unprotected pipes can freeze. They can burst and leak. Remember, water can do major damage to your home but you can avoid this by protecting the pipes. You’ll know the pipes have frozen as you won’t have any water flowing in the tap or shower. Contact a plumber in Helotes, TX, immediately so they can help you thaw the pipes. Another way to avoid freezing pipes is to slightly open the faucet so that warm water can flow through the pipes. Don’t forget to open the cabinet doors when you have the heating on.
- If you have a sump pump installed in the basement, make sure to test it first before a coming storm. Pour a bucket of water into the pit, enough to activate the float switch. The pump will start to operate, removing the water from the pit. Contact a licensed plumber when the sump pump doesn’t work. They can help you fix the problem. Also, don’t forget to get spare batteries in case the power goes out. It’s important to regularly maintain the sump pump for it to work efficiently. Periodically check it for wear and tear. Check if there are damaged components and call a plumber if you need help.
- Don’t ignore slow drains as that would only progress into a major drain clog. As much as possible, contact a plumber in Helotes, TX for professional drain cleaning. Our plumbers have drain cameras to help us look into the interior of the pipes. Depending on what’s restricting water flow, we may use hydro jetters to get rid of the clog. Dirty drains can make your kitchen smell and attract pests. To avoid smelly drains, regularly clean your drains with vinegar and baking soda solution. If you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with a professional in your area.
- Are there little children in your household? Take time to educate them on properly using the toilet. They can only flush human waste down the toilet, not their toys or cat food. Also, please don’t ignore a running toilet as that can waste hundreds of gallons of water. It adds up and that would reflect on your water bill. To check for toilet leaks, get some food coloring from the kitchen and pour a few drops into the toilet tank. Wait for 15 minutes before checking the toilet bowl. If the water in the toilet bowl has color in it, there is a toilet leak. Please contact a plumber in Helotes, TX, immediately so they can help you resolve the problem.
- Garbage disposals are useful appliances as they can help you manage food waste. But make sure not to overload your garbage disposal to avoid clogs. For example, always break down large food particles before putting them in the unit. After grinding the food, run the disposal for a couple more minutes to get rid of the smell. If possible, consider grinding some lemon and ice cube to keep it smelling fresh and clean. If you have further problems, please contact a plumber today.
- You must know where the shut-off valves are located in case there are leaks in your plumbing. Better yet, install several shut-off valves and put them near your water heater, garbage disposal, dishwasher, and washing machine. For installation, make sure to only hire a licensed professional in your area.
- Are you still using a conventional water heater? Removing the mineral buildup by flushing the water heater at least once a year. Failure to remove the mineral buildup can lead to other problems such as higher energy bills and leaks. The buildup at the bottom of the tank can affect the efficiency of your water heater, increasing your energy usage. It may also damage the unit, leading to water leaks. If you want to avoid costly plumbing repairs and replacements, take time to properly care for your water heater. If you’re worried about flooding in the basement, you can also consider switching to tankless water heaters. You can save space as the latter can be mounted on the bathroom wall or can be placed inside a cabinet. Also known as a demand water heater, you only use energy when you turn on the tap or the shower. This means there is no heat loss, helping you save energy and money in the long run. Compared to conventional water heaters, the tankless version also lasts twice as long. They require little maintenance compared to the regular heater. The only downside is that they cost more, but you get to save money in the long run. For installation please make sure to only hire a licensed plumber. Don’t install this on your own or hire an unlicensed individual to avoid problems associated with poor installation. Contact bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio instead — our team can install any water heater including tankless water heaters.
- What to do when there is a gas leak? Don’t panic. The first thing you need to do is open all the windows for proper ventilation. Don’t attempt to fix the gas leak. Call the right professional and wait for him outside your home.
- You need to be extra careful with hidden leaks as these problems may lead to a costly plumbing emergency. If your bills are suddenly sky-high, it’s possible that a leak is the culprit. Do the water meter test to help you determine if there is a leak in your plumbing, then contact a plumber in Helotes, TX, for professional leak detection. Our plumbing professionals can find the exact location of the leak and help you resolve the problem.
- Are you planning to buy a new washing machine? We suggest you contact a plumber for installation. Buy the stainless steel washing machine hoses as they are more durable than rubber. They also last longer and you won’t have to worry about them breaking and leaking in the laundry room. Another reason to hire a licensed plumber during installation is the warranty. To keep the warranty, some manufacturers require professional installation. bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio can install all makes and models of washing machines. Just call us and we will quickly dispatch a professional to your location.
- If you think there might be problems with your plumbing, please try not to ignore it. Contact a licensed plumber for an inspection. Let them know about your suspicion and have them diagnose the issue for you. Don’t worry, they can provide you with cost-effective plumbing solutions.
- For safety purposes, never attempt to do major repairs on your own. You’re not trained to do plumbing work, so it’s possible for you to get injured. Don’t hire inexperienced plumbers either as they don’t have insurance. When they are injured, you may have to pay for their medical expenses. Hire bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio instead; our team can tackle any plumbing problem, big or small.
- Low water pressure can indicate a leak in your plumbing while high water pressure can lead to a leak in your plumbing. Buy a water pressure regulator to help you regulate the water pressure in your home. Remember, when the water pressure is too high, it can severely strain the pipes.
- If it’s your first time using an appliance, make sure to read the manual first. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact the manufacturer or a plumber in Helotes, TX. Also, don’t forget to properly maintain your appliance for them to work efficiently.
- Schedule a regular plumbing inspection so that problems are addressed early. With a plumber inspecting your entire plumbing system, you will have peace of mind knowing that everything is taken care of. After the appointment, you can expect an even more efficient plumbing system.
- Install strainers in the kitchen and bathroom sink. They are used to catch debris, hair, and other food particles that can cause a clog. Once a week, clean the strainers to avoid a smell drain.
- Are there trees near your plumbing? You might want to consider removing them as they might penetrate the pipes and cause an even bigger problem.
- To conserve energy and water, consider investing in energy-efficient appliances and low-flow fixtures. They are designed to use less energy and water, helping homeowners save money. Talk to us if you want to know your options — our team is more than happy to discuss with you the benefits of installing ENERGY STAR appliances and WaterSense fixtures for more savings. We can help you decide the type of showerheads or toilets to install for your home.
- Leak detection devices can alert you when there is a leak in your plumbing. Some models can also detect fluctuations in the water temperature. Most importantly, they can automatically shut off the water supply to avoid further damage to your home. We highly recommend installing these devices in your home. Place them near your water heater, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and washing machine. For installation, please only call licensed professionals.
- The laundry room also needs some care. Read the manual and the cleaning product labels. If you have kids, make sure they are not within reach. Consider investing in smart washers and dryers as they are more beneficial. For installation, work with a licensed professional only.
- When there is a leak in your plumbing, the first thing you need to do is shut off the water supply. Then take pictures (for your insurance) then clean up afterward. You need to also be careful with mold growth — you can avoid this by calling the right professionals within 24 hours. Don’t wait for another day or two, or it would be too late.
- In addition to getting a regular plumbing inspection, you need to also periodically check your appliances and fixtures for any damage or wear and tear. If some components are damaged, contact a professional immediately.
- Remember, plumbing emergencies don’t occur overnight. They usually happen when the homeowners neglect an issue. So if you suspect something may be wrong with your plumbing, act immediately. Contact bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio today so that our team can thoroughly inspect your plumbing, diagnose the problem and provide you with the best solutions.
Contact bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio
If you need help with any plumbing repairs, installations or maintenance, we’re here to help! We are an established plumbing company that offers a wide range of plumbing services to all homeowners and businesses. If you need a plumber in Helotes, TX, today, we are the one you need! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us; we are more than happy to help! Call bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio today for an appointment!