Most people don’t think about their plumbing systems too often until something goes wrong. When the water delivery system, drainage system, or fixtures act up, it’s easy to panic. You won’t know exactly what’s wrong with the unit and how much it will cost, and life in your home will be challenging until the problem is resolved.
DIY home repairs are very common today, and DIY is great for some household projects, but plumbing repair isn’t one of them. Plumbers undergo years of training and apprenticeship to learn to diagnose and repair plumbing problems, and without the necessary training, you could do more harm than good.
If your plumbing system experiences any of the following issues, it’s best to call a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX as soon as possible.
#1 A Lack of Water
The most obvious sign it’s time to call a plumbing service is a lack of water. If you turn on the water and nothing comes out, you’ll need a plumber’s help. You need running water all day, and a lack of water will prevent you from performing essential household chores, so the problem must be addressed quickly. You should call the water company before hiring a professional to rule out an outage and ensure your service hasn’t been terminated due to non-payment. If everything checks out, you’ll need to hire a plumber to determine which of the following issues is the cause.
- An issue with the water main preventing water from coming into the house
- Old pipes affect the water pressure and will eventually prevent water from entering the house.
- A build-up of mineral residue causing the pipe to clog, preventing water from entering the house.
- The pipes can freeze during a cold snap, and the water in the pipes will also freeze, preventing the water from reaching the taps.
Running water is essential for personal hygiene, cooking, and cleaning, and your water-based appliances need running water to function correctly, so it’s best to call a plumbing service as soon as the trouble starts.
#2 Poor Water Pressure
Sufficient water pressure is necessary to prevent daily household tasks from taking longer than necessary. Also, your water-based appliances need adequate water pressure to function at peak performance. If the water pressure is suddenly reduced, it’s best to call a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX. They’ll send a tech to determine which of the following issues is the cause so that they can make the necessary repair.
- An issue with the main shutoff valve
- A problem with the water meter valve.
- The pressure regulator is failing.
- There’s a significant clog in the water line.
- The pipes are severely corroded.
- There’s a substantial leak in the water line.
Poor water pressure can make daily household tasks challenging, so it’s best to call a plumbing service immediately. A plumber will find the cause and fix it, restoring adequate water flow.
#3 Plumbing Leak
Plumbing leaks are one of the most common calls a plumber receives and can cause water damage and mold growth, so it’s best to call a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX immediately.
If you see water pooling when you open the kitchen cabinet or bathroom vanity, there’s a leak under the sink. If you see water spots on the walls, there’s a leak behind the wall. Leaks under the house usually won’t result in standing water but will show other signs, including:
- Warm areas on the basement floor
- Dampness in the basement
- A musty smell in the basement
- Cracked basement floor or wall
- Puddles in the yard, and it hasn’t rained
- Areas of the grass are greener and lusher than the rest of the lawn
- High water bills
If you suspect, there’s a leaking pipe in your house; it’s best to call a plumbing service immediately. They’ll send a tech to find the leaking pipe and replace it. If the plumber cannot find the leaking pipe, they will use leak detection equipment to find the leak and replace it before further damage occurs.
#4 Drain Issues
When the water runs, it should flow down the drain quickly and out of the house. If the water isn’t draining correctly, it can prevent you from performing household chores. If your drains experience any of the following problems, it’s best to call a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX as soon as possible.
- Slow drains: A minor clog will cause the water to flow slowly down the drain and can be frustrating when you do anything that requires the water to run. For example, the sink can overflow if you let the water run when you brush your teeth, and you’ll end up standing in several inches of water when you shower.
- Many people will try a liquid drain cleaner to eliminate the clog and avoid a plumbing bill, but this isn’t a good idea. These products contain harsh chemicals that can damage the pipes, resulting in a more serious issue with an expensive repair bill.
- A plumbing service will send a tech to your house to clear the clog from the drain, restoring adequate water flow.
- A complete clog: A significant clog can prevent the water from draining, resulting in standing water in the sink or tub, and you cannot use it until the clog is removed. It’s best to call a plumbing service immediately before bacteria, and other harmful organisms form in the standing water, which can make your family sick. They will send a plumber to your house with the necessary tools to eliminate the clog, so the water flows quickly down the drain.
- Multiple drain clogs; If multiple drains are slow or clogged completely, it isn’t a coincidence, and they didn’t just happen to clog simultaneously. This problem indicates a clog in the sewer line, and you should call an emergency plumbing service in San Antonio, TX. Ignoring the issue will allow the clog to escalate to the point where the water has nowhere to go and will back up into your house. Sewage backups are smelly, messy, and hazardous to your family’s health, so it’s best to resolve the problem quickly. A plumber can remove the clog from the sewer line, and the water will flow freely down every drain in the house.
- Noisy drain: Do you hear a gurgling sound when the water drains? If so, you should call a plumbing service. A significant clog will force the water to change directions to get past the clog, and the change in direction will create air pockets, causing a gurgling sound. Ignoring the problem will allow the clog to escalate, preventing the water from draining.
- A plumbing service will send a tech to your home with the tools necessary to remove the entire clog, allowing the water to drain quietly.
#5 Water Heater Issues
Although your water heater is an appliance, it’s also essential to your plumbing system. The water entering the house is cold and fills the water heater, where it’s heated and stored, so you always have hot water when needed. Water heater issues can be very inconvenient and can affect the water temperature or quality.
If your water heater experiences any of the following problems, it’s best to call a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX immediately.
- No hot water: If you turn on the hot water tap and the water comes out cold, there’s likely an issue with the heating element. A plumbing service will send a tech to your house to inspect the unit and repair the element. If the unit is over ten years old, it may have reached the end of its life and can no longer heat the water, and the unit must be replaced.
- Lukewarm water: If the water doesn’t get hotter than lukewarm, you should hire a plumbing service to figure out why. There could be an issue with the unit’s thermostat, and the unit isn’t getting the correct signal. If your unit has two heating elements, one may have failed, and the remaining element doesn’t have the power to heat the water supply more than lukewarm.
- You’ll need a licensed plumber to determine why the water doesn’t get hotter than lukewarm so they can resolve the problem.
- Brown or rust-colored water: If the water coming from the hot water tap is brown or rust-colored, it indicates contamination, and you should call a plumbing service immediately.
- When a significant amount of sediment builds up in the tank, the hot water will break it up, contaminating it.
- A plumber will try to flush the unit to eliminate the sediment, but the unit must be replaced if this isn’t possible.
- You should avoid using hot water until the problem is resolved, but if you have no choice, it’s best to boil it first.
- Poor hot water pressure: If the hot water pressure is suddenly insufficient, sediment could be to blame. When a significant amount of sediment builds up in the tank, it can clog the water line, affecting the water pressure.
- A plumbing service in San Antonio, TX will send a tech to your home to try to flush the sediment, but if this is impossible, the unit must be replaced.
- Clanging or popping sounds: Your water heater should be whisper quiet, and if it makes a clanging or popping sound, it’s best to call a plumbing service.
- When large pieces of sediment accumulate in the tank, they will bang against the sides, causing a clanging sound. Ignoring the problem isn’t an option because it can crack the tank, causing a flood in your home.
- A popping sound indicates sediment at the bottom of the tank. When water gets trapped beneath the sediment, it will boil and make a popping sound.
- A plumber will try to flush the sediment, but the unit must be replaced if they are unsuccessful.
- Moisture or water pooling around the unit: Moisture around the water heater indicates a loose or disconnected hose. Although this is an easy fix, it can cause water damage and mold growth around the unit, so it should be addressed immediately.
- Water pooling around the unit indicates a crack in the tank that can flood your home if you don’t hire a plumber immediately. Unfortunately, a crack cannot be repaired, and the only option is to replace your water heater.
Water heater issues should never be ignored because the problem will worsen if you wait too long, so it’s best to call a plumber immediately.
Call bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of San Antonio
If your plumbing system isn’t working correctly, bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of San Antonio can help. We’re a full-service plumbing company, serving customers in the area for years, and we are a member of the Plumbing Heating Cooling Contractors Association.
Our plumbers are highly trained, and their knowledge and skill have allowed them to handle the most challenging jobs in the plumbing industry, and they can handle your plumbing problem, big or small.
When you call for service, our plumber will arrive at your home on time in a fully-stocked truck, allowing them to make most repairs the same day. This will eliminate the need for a second service call and make your life more convenient.
We provide emergency service if you have a problem that must be addressed immediately. We’ll send a plumber to your house as quickly as possible to resolve the issue before it escalates to something more serious.
We do whatever we can to keep our prices low, and you’ll never have to worry about being charged for the trip or any overtime charges. Our website also has coupons to save money on services and equipment.
We’ve earned an excellent reputation over the years and are a Google Guaranteed business with a 5-star rating. You can also find us on Home Advisor, where we’re listed as an Elite and Top-Rated service, with many positive reviews on the platform.
You can give bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of San Antonio a call to schedule an appointment or book online.