We all rely on our plumbing systems daily, and many people take their plumbing systems for granted. As long as clean, cold water comes from the taps and the drainage systems and fixtures work correctly, you likely don’t think about your plumbing system. It isn’t until something goes wrong that you begin to panic, and it’s best to call a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX.
Many homeowners today attempt DIY home repairs to save money and do the job faster. Although some projects are great DIY projects, a plumbing repair isn’t one. Licensed plumbers undergo years of professional training and apprenticeship to diagnose and repair plumbing issues. Without the necessary training, you could make the wrong diagnosis or make a mistake trying to fix the problem, which will cause more damage and increase the plumbing bill significantly.
If your plumbing system isn’t working correctly and experiences any of the following issues, it’s best to hire a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX to resolve the problem correctly.
Plumbing leaks are one of the most common calls a plumber receives. A leaking pipe in your house is a serious problem because the leak will cause water damage and mold growth around the leak and will waste a significant amount of water, causing your water bills to increase.
Leaks occur when the pipes become rusted and corroded, or a joint becomes loose or disconnected. Because leaks can be so damaging, it’s best to know how to detect a plumbing leak and call a plumbing service immediately.
You can easily detect leaks under the sink because you’ll see standing water when you open the bathroom vanity or kitchen cabinet. You can also see a leaking pipe behind the wall because it will leave water spots. It’s possible for a line under the house to leak, which can be challenging to detect because you can’t see the pipe. Fortunately, there are signs to look for that indicate a leaking pipe under the house, including:
- A moldy or musty smell
- Damp areas in the basement
- Cracks in the basement floor or wall
- A warm spot on the basement floor
- Puddles outside by the house
- An area of the lawn is greener and lusher than the rest.
- In severe cases, cracks in your home’s foundation
- High water bills
A plumbing service in San Antonio, TX will send a tech to your house to fix the leaking pipe. If they have trouble finding the leak, the plumber will use leak detection equipment to locate the leak and fix the pipe before further damage occurs.
#2 Drain Issues
If you’re like most homeowners, you don’t think about your drains too often. You have nothing to worry about as long as the water flows freely down the drain. It isn’t until the drains aren’t working correctly that you begin to panic, and you should call a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX immediately.
- Slow drains: When water flows down the drain slowly, it indicates a minor clog. Some people attempt a DIY repair using a liquid drain cleaner, but hiring a plumber is the best option. Liquid drain cleaners contain harsh chemicals designed to break up clogs and cause significant damage to the pipes. A plumbing service will send a plumber to your home with the necessary tools and equipment to remove the clog safely without causing damage to the plumbing system.
- Clogged drains: A complete drain clog indicates a significant clog that prevents the water from draining. The clog will leave standing water in the sink or tub, and you cannot use it until the clog is removed. It’s best to hire a plumbing service immediately to use the fixture again and prevent a hazardous situation. Bacteria starts growing in standing water quickly and can make your family sick. A licensed plumber can eliminate the clog quickly, allowing the standing water to drain.
- Noisy drains: Do your drains gurgle when the water drains? If so, you have a problem even though the water goes down quickly. When a significant clog forms in the drain, the water must change directions to get through the pipe, and the change in direction creates air pockets, causing the gurgling sound. Allowing the problem to persist will result in a complete drain clog, preventing any water from draining, so it’s best to call a plumbing service when you hear the gurgling.
- Multiple drain clogs: When multiple drains become slow simultaneously, it isn’t a coincidence and often indicates a clog in the sewer line. This is a serious issue because when the clog gets too large, the water and waste will have nowhere to go and back up inside the house, creating a nasty, hazardous mess. A plumbing service will send a tech to your home to remove the clog from the line, allowing the water to flow freely down the drains.
Drain issues should be addressed immediately because the longer you wait, the larger the clog will become. Not only will this prevent the water from draining, but it can also cause pipe damage resulting in a leak, so it’s best to call a plumbing service when the problem starts.
#3 Clogged Toilet
A clogged toilet isn’t a problem because plunging the toilet will usually break up the clog enough to flush the toilet without it overflowing. If the clog is large, solid, or located too far down the drainpipe, the plunger won’t be effective, and you should call a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX. You won’t be able to use the toilet until the clog is removed, which is a significant problem if you only have one bathroom, so it’s best to make the call immediately.
A plumber has the tools and equipment to remove the clog safely, so the toilet will flush without overflowing. If the clog is located too far down the drainpipe, the plumber can remove the toilet to access the clog and remove it.
#4 Water Heater Issues
Your water heater is an appliance, but essential to your plumbing system. When cold water enters the house, it fills the water heater, where it’s heated and stored, so you always have hot water when needed. Water heater issues can affect the water’s temperature and quality and put your home at risk.
If your water heater experiences any of the following problems, it’s best to call a plumbing service immediately.
- You have no hot water
- The water doesn’t get hotter than lukewarm
- Poor hot water pressure
- Brown or rust-colored water
- You run out of hot water often.
- The water heater sounds like it’s possessed
- Moisture or water pooling around the unit
Water heaters are complex appliances, and plumbing training is necessary to diagnose and repair issues correctly. You could easily make an incorrect diagnosis or mistake trying to fix the unit without the required training. In addition, a DIY repair will void the unit’s warranty, so it’s best to call a plumbing service. If your water heater develops a serious issue that will cost a lot to repair and the warranty has been voided, you must pay to repair or replace the unit yourself.
A licensed plumber has the knowledge and skill to diagnose issues correctly and determine if the unit can be fixed or if a replacement is necessary. The sooner you make the call, the sooner the unit will function correctly.
#5 Dripping Faucet
A dripping faucet may seem minor, but it is more severe than you think and requires a call to a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX. A few issues can cause a faucet to leak, such as a worn-out gasket or washer, corrosion in the valve seat, a loose O ring, or the faucet is old and must be replaced.
Allowing the problem to persist isn’t an option because you’ll waste a significant amount of water. A faucet that drips one drop per second can waste up to 11 gallons of water daily and 330 gallons per month, causing your water bills to increase significantly. Over time, the dripping can escalate to a steady stream of water, wasting hundreds of gallons daily.
A plumbing service can send a plumber to your house to fix the faucet or replace it, depending on why it’s dripping.
#6 Running Toilet
Your toilet should run after every flush to refill the tank, so the toilet is ready for the next flush. If the toilet continues running when the tank is full, it indicates a problem that requires a call to a plumbing service in San Antonio, TX.
A running toilet can waste up to 30 gallons of water per day and up to 900 gallons per month and will cause your water bills to increase significantly if the problem isn’t resolved quickly.
A few issues can cause the toilet to run constantly, such as a broken flapper or chain, the float height isn’t adjusted correctly, the refill hose being too long, or the toilet being old and reaching the end of its lifespan. A plumber has the experience and tools to fix the toilet to stop it from running when the tank is full. They can also replace the toilet if age is the cause.
When the toilet is fixed and runs only when the tank is empty, you’ll notice a difference in your water bills.
#7 Frozen Pipes
Winter days in Texas are relatively mild, but it gets cold at night. During a cold snap, the temperature can drop below freezing, putting your pipes at risk.
If nothing comes from the taps on a freezing night, there’s a good chance the pipes have frozen, requiring a call to an emergency plumbing service.
When the pipes freeze, the water in the pipes will also freeze and expand, causing the pipes to burst. Burst pipes are a homeowner’s worst nightmare because they will cause a major flood in your house, resulting in water damage and mold growth that will cost a lot of money to repair.
A plumbing service will send a tech to your house to thaw the pipes quickly to prevent them from bursting. They can also give you tips to avoid frozen pipes in the future, and they can wrap the pipes in heated tape to keep them warm when the temperature outside drops below freezing.
Call bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio Today
If you have a plumbing problem requiring a call to a plumbing service, look no further than bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio. We’re a full-service plumbing and HVAC service, making us a one-stop shop for home repairs, and we are members of the Plumbing Heating Cooling Contractors Association.
Our plumbers are professionally trained, licensed, and insured and can handle any plumbing issue, big or small. They also have the knowledge and skill to diagnose and repair problems the first time, ensuring your plumbing system is up and running again.
If you have a plumbing problem that must be addressed immediately, don’t panic. We provide emergency service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and we will get a plumber to your house as quickly as possible to resolve the problem before further damage occurs.
Since we opened our doors, we’ve earned an excellent reputation in the community and industry. We’re a Google Guaranteed business with an A+ rating, with thousands of positive reviews. You can also find us on Home Advisor, where we’re listed as an Elite and Top Rated Service, with many positive reviews on the platform.
We understand that times are tough financially for many people, so we do our best to keep our prices low. We have money-saving coupons on our website to save on equipment and services, and you can become a member of our bfpad Proactive Protection Program. For a small monthly fee, you’re eligible for priority service, a free plumbing evaluation every year, and 15 percent off service.
To schedule an appointment for plumbing or HVAC service, call bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio or book online.