You rely greatly on every component of your plumbing system all day. You need the water to come from the faucets, and it should be clean and clear. You also need the drains to function correctly to allow the water to drain, and your water heater must work for you to have hot water. When something goes wrong with any part of the plumbing system, it can make life at home inconvenient.
Although all plumbing problems are frustrating, some aren’t urgent, and you can wait until you have time for a service call or until a plumber has an available appointment. However, there are pressing plumbing issues, and waiting to call a plumber is a mistake. In cases like this, waiting to call a plumber can result in serious problems, and you’ll need to hire a plumber immediately.
It can be challenging to determine whether the problem should be addressed immediately. If your plumbing system experiences any of the following issues, it’s best to hire an emergency plumber in San Antonio, TX.
#1 Drain Issues
All drain problems can be frustrating and make life inconvenient, but some are more serious than others. Small clogs cause the water to flow slowly down the drain, which can be frustrating when you’re doing something that requires the water to run for a while, but it isn’t an emergency. You can wait to have a minor clog removed until you have time for a service call, but you don’t want to wait too long. The longer you wait, the larger the clog will become.
- Large clogs: A large clog that prevents the water from draining is a serious problem that requires a call to an emergency plumber. If the water doesn’t drain, there will be standing water in the sink or tub, and you won’t be able to use it until the clog is removed. Also, stagnant water can accumulate bacteria and heavy materials, putting your family at risk. Finally, a significant clog that remains for too long can cause damage to the pipes. You’ll need a plumber to remove the entire clog safely to allow the water to flow freely down the drain to avoid potentially dangerous and damaging consequences.
- Multiple drain clogs: Multiple drain clogs are another problem that requires a call to an emergency plumber. It’s unlikely that a clog formed in every drain simultaneously, often indicating a clog in the sewer line. If the clog isn’t removed quickly, raw sewage can push back into the drainpipes and your plumbing fixtures, resulting in a nasty, potentially dangerous mess. This issue requires immediate attention from a plumber to prevent a disaster.
- Noisy drains: Does a drain in your home make a gurgling sound when the water drains? If so, hiring an emergency plumber in San Antonio, TX, is best. This may not seem urgent because the water still drains; however, it’s more serious than you think. When a large clog forms in the drain, the water changes direction to get passed the clog and creates an air pocket in the drains, which causes a gurgling sound. If you don’t have the clog removed immediately, it will escalate to the point where the water can’t change direction, and the drain will clog completely, resulting in standing water in the sink or tub. A plumber can remove the entire clog, preventing further problems from happening.
Drain issues can cause serious problems that can affect your ability to use the sink or tub and harm your plumbing system and your family’s health. Having the issue resolved quickly is the best way to prevent these problems.
#2 Toilet Clogs
Toilet clogs occur when something too large is flushed to make it down the drainpipe, such as too much toilet paper and waste or something that shouldn’t be flushed down the toilet. These include baby wipes, paper towels, and menstrual products, and the only thing that should be flushed is toilet paper.
In many cases, a clogged toilet isn’t a cause for concern because most toilet clogs can be removed using a plumber. The plunger breaks up the clog enough to be forced down, eliminating the clog enough that you can flush the toilet. If the plunger isn’t effective, it’s time to call an emergency plumber in San Antonio, TX. The plunger won’t help if the clog is too large, too solid, or located too far down the drainpipe. You can’t use the toilet until the clog is removed, and a toilet clog is a significant problem if you only have one bathroom.
An emergency plumber can use a drain auger to break up the clog enough that it can be flushed. If the auger doesn’t reach the clog because it’s too far down the drainpipe, they can remove the toilet to get the clog. The sooner you hire a plumber, the sooner you’ll be able to use the toilet again.
#3 Water Heater Issues
Your water heater is one of the most essential appliances in your home. You rely on hot water all day, and without it, you can’t perform daily tasks in your home. Also, your washing machine and dishwasher won’t function properly without hot water, so the unit must work the way it should. Water heater issues can affect the water temperature and your ability to use hot water, and some can cause a flood in your home.
If your water heater experiences any of the following problems, it’s best to hire an emergency plumber in San Antonio, TX, when the trouble starts.
- No hot water: A lack of hot water will prevent you from showering and performing many daily household tasks and is often due to a broken heating element. If the unit is over ten years old, it may have reached the end of its lifespan and must be replaced.
- Lukewarm water: Nobody wants to shower in lukewarm water, and your hot water-based appliances won’t function at peak performance. This issue could be due to a broken thermostat or a failing heating element, or the unit may be too old to work as efficiently as possible.
- Brown or rust-colored hot water: Discolored hot water indicates contamination, and it’s not safe to use the hot water. Sediment buildup in the tank is the most common cause of contamination. If the unit is over ten years old, the inside of the tank could be breaking down, causing minerals or tiny shards of metal to contaminate the water.
- Leaks: A leaking water heater can cause 50+ gallons of water to flood your home.
- You frequently run out of hot water: Running out of hot water is a significant problem because nobody wants to take a cold shower. If your water heater tank is too small to meet your family’s hot water demand, running out of hot water is not uncommon. This problem can also occur when there are large amounts of sediment in the tank, leaving less space for water storage.
These water heater problems should not be ignored, and it’s best to hire an emergency plumber immediately.
Plumbing leaks occur when the pipes have rusted or corroded. They can also happen if there’s a loose or broken joint or the sealing is old and is failing. Leaks should never be ignored because the longer the pipe leaks, the more water damage will occur. Also, plumbing leaks can result in mold growth, creating a health hazard in your house.
Leaks under the sink are simple to detect because you’ll see standing water under the kitchen or bathroom sink. Leaks can also occur behind the walls and often result in water spots on the wall in the area around the leak. It is more challenging to detect a leak under the house, which can cause puddles in the yard near the house, a warm basement floor, and in serious cases, the leak can damage your home’s foundation. Some leaks can only be detected by high water bills.
If you suspect there’s a leak in your plumbing system, you’ll need to hire an emergency plumber. A plumber can replace the damaged pipes, tighten the joints, and apply new sealing. If they can’t find the leaking pipe, the plumber will use leak detection equipment to locate it so it can be repaired. It’s essential to call an emergency plumber immediately to prevent water damage that can be expensive to repair.
#5 Brown or Rust-Colored Water
As mentioned above, brown or rust-colored water indicates contamination. If it’s just the hot water that’s discolored, the problem is with the water heater, and the plumbing system is the problem if the hot and cold water is discolored.
Old rusty or corroded pipes can contaminate the water coming from the taps in your house. Also, dirt and debris can get into a broken pipe underground, contaminating the water. Contaminated water is a serious problem that requires a call to an emergency plumber in San Antonio, TX. You can’t use contaminated water because it’s unsafe, and an emergency plumber can find the cause and resolve the problem so you can start using the water again.
#6 Running Toilet
If your toilet works correctly, it will run after you flush while the tank refills and should stop when it is full. If the toilet continues to run when the tank is full and runs constantly, it’s best to call an emergency plumber.
A running toilet may not seem like a significant issue, and many people consider it a minor annoyance due to the sound of running water, but it’s more serious than you think. A toilet that runs constantly can waste up to 30 gallons of water daily and up to 900 gallons a month, which can cause your water bills to increase considerably. Also, this amount of wasted water is harmful to the environment.
A few problems can cause the toilet to run, including:
- The flapper is cracked or damaged.
- The flapper’s chain is broken.
- The refill hose is too long.
- The float height needs to be adjusted.
- The toilet has reached the end of its lifespan.
An emergency plumber can inspect the toilet to determine why the toilet runs and make the necessary repair. The toilet should be fixed right away to avoid wasting any more water.
#7 Frozen Pipes
Your pipes can freeze when it drops below freezing outside. Although winters in San Antonio, TX, are relatively mild, the temperature can drop significantly at night or during a cold snap. If you try to turn on the water when it’s freezing outside, you should call an emergency plumber immediately.
When the pipes freeze, the water in the pipes will also freeze and expand, causing the pipes to burst. Burst pipes are a homeowner’s worst nightmare because the freezing can result in a major flood in your home, causing serious water damage.
An emergency plumber can thaw the pipes quickly before the pipes burst. They can also wrap the pipes in heated tape to prevent the pipes from freezing the next time it gets really cold outside.
Why Choose bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio?
If you have an urgent plumbing issue and need to hire an emergency plumber in San Antonio, TX, look no further than bluefrog Plumbing + Drain + HVAC of San Antonio. We’re a full-service plumbing company with an excellent reputation in the community.
Our plumbers are professionally trained, highly skilled, and qualified to handle any plumbing job you have, regardless of how complex the job is. If you have an emergency issue, we provide emergency service. We’ll do our best to get an emergency plumber to your home as quickly as possible to resolve the problem before further damage can occur.
Our plumbers will arrive at your home on time, in a fully-stocked truck allowing them to make most repairs the same day. This makes your life more convenient because you won’t have to take time out of your day for a second service call.
To schedule an appointment with an emergency plumber or any other plumbing job, give us a repair today.