Each water filtration system in San Antonio, TX has certain advantages and disadvantages. If you are looking to purchase a water filtration system, you should only make your selection after a careful analysis of each type of water filtration system in San Antonio, TX. Here is a comparison of the different types of water filter systems – each with their pros and cons – that will make your decision easier.
PITCHER WATER FILTERS:
Pitcher water filters are the most inexpensive water filtration system in San Antonio, TX. They use Granulated Activated Charcoal to remove a few contaminants, but many types of contaminants are still left out in the filtered water. Since they require constant filling and cartridge replacement, many people don’t appreciate the hassle that comes with these types of filters. Since carbon in this type of water filtration system in San Antonio, TX is not solid, it doesn’t remove all the toxins. Pitcher water filters also come as faucet mountable external filters so you can install them on any faucet of your house. Below are the pros and cons of this filtration system:
- It reduces the level of chlorine in water
- It improves the taste of water
- It is inexpensive
- Since carbon filters are not solid, they are not able to remove all types of contaminants
- They cannot remove herbicides, pesticides, metals compounds or fluoride
- They usually come in smaller sizes, thus are not sufficient enough for larger families
- They require periodic replacement of cartridges, thus even if the up-front costs are lower than other types, the frequent cartridge changing will take more money from you in the long-term.
They do not remove a few worst contaminants and are somewhat costly in the longer term as compared to other options.
REVERSE OSMOSIS (RO):
Reverse Osmosis filtration is another great water filtration system in San Antonio, TX. This system filters water by using a membrane that removes various contaminants from water. Many times the system is paired with a Granulated Activated Charcoal filter, which removes chlorine as well. Many Reverse Osmosis filters can be mounted under the sink. Their semi-permeable membrane separates many contaminants from the water, but it also rejects a large amount of water in the process.
This result in wastage of several gallons of water, and the process also reduces many important minerals like calcium and magnesium from the water. Following are its pros and cons:
- They remove majority of harmful contaminants
- Home RO systems are convenient and easy to use. You can typically have a water faucet set up at your sink designed specifically for drinking water. Often times, you can also have the system set up to provide water to your ice maker.
- Reverse osmosis system improves the taste of water.
- Residential setups can be expensive. Their upfront cost is quite a bit, and they require maintenance which is also not cheap in comparison.
- They remove some important minerals from drinking water.
- Reverse osmosis systems waste a lot of water. You will only be able to get smaller amounts of filtered water by feeding in ample amounts.
These are certainly better than many other options, and also remove fluoride, but they’re not the best since they waste a lot of water and have costly filters.
Another trustworthy and secure type of water filtration system in San Antonio, TX is distillation system. In distillation process, water is heated to convert it into steam. The steam then rises towards a cooling chamber where it turns back into liquid. This process leaves behind various contaminants. Many unwanted minerals and heavy metals are removed in the process, but endocrine disruptors and VOCs still remain a part of distilled water since they also vaporize at equal temperatures and rise with steam. The distillation process does effectively destroy bacteria. Following are the pros and cons of this water filtration system in San Antonio, TX:
- It filters out various contaminants.
- This process is able to reduce asbestos, arsenic and heavy metals compounds.
- It does remove fluoride from the water.
- It is not able to reduce VOCs and endocrine disruptors.
- Residential distillation systems are often times large and expensive.
- It consumes large amount of electricity and will not work in case of power outages.
- It removes some important minerals from the water.
- Long term use of distilled water can cause mineral deficiencies.
It is a good option, but there are better alternatives out there.
SOLID BLOCK CARBON FILTERS:
Solid block carbon filters are recognized by the EPA as the best option for removing chemicals like herbicides, pesticides and VOCs from drinking water. Most of the units are gravity based and easily transform all types of water into safe drinking water, including pond water, rain water, and even sea water. It is actually even able to filter water with food coloring in it, to produce clear water.
The major advantage of this water filtration system in San Antonio, TX is that since it is gravity based, it does not require any electricity. Although the setup cost of this type of water filtration system in San Antonio, TX is higher than pitcher filters or other types of filters, it is actually the least expensive in the long run, and also requires less filter replacements. Here are its pros and cons:
- This process filters out chlorine, fluoride, heavy metals, VOCs, nitrates, bacteria and other microbes.
- It has less expensive per gallon cost and requires only occasional filter replacement.
- It enhances the taste of water.
- It doesn’t require electricity or any water pressure to work.
- It is a portable option.
- It does require counter space and has to be manually filled
- Its upfront is more expensive in comparison.
- It is not able to remove endocrine disruptors.
It’s an exceptional water filtration system in San Antonio, TX and highly recommended.